What to do if our backyard neighbor added an outdoor chimney which is obstructing our view and the HOA board approved it without letting us know?

Is the HOA board in the wrong for failing to notify us (adjacent neighbors)? The view is affecting our property value and the board is not willing to do anything about it.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Did the HOA board have to notify you and provide you an opportunity to object or be heard? If they were supposed to do this, under the HOA rules, agreements, etc. and failed to do so, then it is possible you might have a cause of action against them, seeking some monetary compensation in regards to any dimunition of value (though you'd have to be able to prove an actual monetary dimunition of value, such as with an appraisal--not just the fact that you consider the view to be impaired). However, if they were not actually required by any agreements or rules to which you are a party (or which are incorporated into any agreements to which you are a party), you would not likely have a cause of action against them--i.e. if they did not have a duty or obligation to provide you notice, they did nothing wrong by failing to do so.

If you neighbor did everything he is supposed to and the HOA board erred, it is not likely that you would have any cause of action against him; if he violated any building codes, HOA rules, etc., you may be able to take legal action against him, and should consult with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.