What can I do in order to get paid for the days that I attended orientation if I ending up resigning?

I was temporarily employed at a hospital and I attended 3 days of orientation with each day being 8 hours. Immediately after the third day of orientation, I was offered a position at another hospital with much better pay and work hours so I took that offer and resigned from my previous position. I was not able to clock in on the other 2 days I attended since I was having

issues with clocking in and as a result, I informed my manager to put in the missing 16 hours. After receiving my paycheck for orientation, I discovered that I was paid for only 1 day of orientation and I am missing 16 hours from the other 2 days that I attended orientation. I called Human Resources and after a few days of calling and leaving messages, they finally picked up and informed me that they would talk with my manager and get back with me. It has been almost a week and I have not heard from them.

Asked on May 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You must be paid for all days/hours you worked--and orientation is work for this purpose. If the employer will not voluntarily honor its legal obligations, you could contact your state department of labor to file a wage and hour complaint; if the labor department does not help you, you could instead sue the hospital in small claims court (acting as your own attorney, or "pro se") for the money they owe you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.