once i serve divorce papers to my husband how long does he have to contest before i can file for default in Nevada?

ive been trying to get divorced for over 2 years now from my husband and he keeps filing documents stating that until we come up with an aggreement on child custody he will not sign. It is my understanding that getting divorced and agreeing to child custody are two different cases. is that true

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Family Law, California


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When your husband is served with the petition for divorce, he must file an answer with the court within 20 days from the date the petition was served. If he fails to answer, then a default will be granted.

If you and your husband cannot agree on child custody, the court will make a determination based on the child's best interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.