obtaining copies of court records

My son is currently incarcerated.He wrote to the court.town court
and ask for copies of all his records.He was told that because he has
a lawyer they cannot give them to him and he needs to get the from his
lawyer. Is this true ?

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Criminal Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

What your son was told does not make sense because court records are public records.
You can go to the court, and if you know the case number, you can ask the court clerk for the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the file for you or the sections you want.
If you don't know the case number, look for your son's name under defendants in the court's computer to obtain the case number.  After obtaining the case number, give the case number to the court clerk and ask the court clerk for the file as discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.