What to do if my wife was recently rear-ended and we are trying to handle her claim without an attorney since it was somewhat minor?

The insurance comapany which is the “at fault” parties insurer is asking for release of her medical records. I would be more than happy to do this, however my wife seems to be a target for being rear-ended as she was just rear-ended 1 1/2 years ago and now has minor permanant shoulder damage. My concern is that they will see her med records and claim she already had medical problems and all pain in this claim in attributed to the other car accident and not this one.

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Personal Injury, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you can do is authorize the release of your wife's medical records up to a certain time period six (6) months or so after the prior accident in an attempt to resolve the personal injury matter that she was in. However, the other party is entitled to her medical records going back five (5) years before the current accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.