Who has rights in property that was quitclaimed?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who has rights in property that was quitclaimed?

My in-laws built a house and put it in my sister-in-law’s name. She got a divorce and quit claimed it to my husband and I. My mother-in-law passed away about 3 years ago. My father-in-law couldn’t take care of the house so we sold it. We give him $1000 a month and now my he and my brother-in-law are saying that they are going to sue because my in-laws built the house even though it was never in their name. My brother-in-law said that he is entitled to the money. Can they sue?

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well this is America and people can sue anyone for just about anything.  Whether they can win is another story.  There are a lot of unanswered questions here and they need to be answered to figure out what is really going on with the property.  It appears from what you have written that the property was considered separate property in your sister in laws divorce but that your ex brother in law may not agree.  Is this the brother in law that you are referring to?  Did she quitclaim you the property before her divorce in order to remove it as an asset of the marriage?  As for you Father in law, why was he paying for the maintenance and upkeep on a house that was not his?  You need help with all of this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption