What to do if my wife and I are trying to go through a no-fault divorce without legal representation?

We have not paid our mortgage in over a year and a half and are in the middle stages of foreclosure. Do we say we “own” a home? We both agree to let the foreclosure run its course. How do we indicate this to the judge?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as you and your spouse are on legal title to a home that is in foreclosure you both still own a home. Given the situation that you and your spouse are in I suggest that you both retain a family law attorney if you do not have one to assist you in the dissolution action that is presently pending in the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.