Do I have any claims to my late paternal grandmother’s estate?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any claims to my late paternal grandmother’s estate?

My father is deceased and my grandmother did not have a Will. The only other relative was her nephew by marriage and he took over the entire estate.

Asked on January 16, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When somone dies without a Will they are said to have died "intestate". In such a case, the intestacy (or succession) laws of the state in which they were domiciled as of the date of their death will control. Typically, a person's estate is divided between the surviving spouse and the deceadent's children. If there are none, then the heirs (i.e. the family members who inherit) are the grandchildren.

At this point, you should consult with the appropriate probate court or a local probate attorney as to your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption