What are my rights if my tongue has nerve damage on one side due to extraction of wisdom teeth last year?

I’ve been waiting for my tongue to recover feeling but it hasn’t. Can I sue my dentist? Should I continue to pay on my bill?

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Malpractice Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF the damage was due to malpractice, which is careless or negligent medical care, or medical care which violates currently accepted standards of medical care, then you may have a claim medical costs (e.g. any costs to treat the problem) and pain and suffering for loss of some feeling or functionality. On the other hand, if the damages was not caused by faulty medical care, there would be no claim--doctors, dentists, etc. are only liable when they do something wrong (the law accepts that medical care is not perfect or infalliable, and sometimes the patient suffers even when everything is done right). You are advised to consult with a medical malpractice attorney, who can evaluate whether you may have a claim for malpractice. That attorney can also advise you as to whether, under the circumstances of your case, you should continue paying the medical bill or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.