If my teenage son played a prank on another child at school and it resulted in an injury, can I refuse to pay for the medical expenses until I get a statement of these charges?

I am willing to pay for medical expenses but the parent is not giving me a explanation of charges and just wants me to pay $530.

Asked on February 16, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can refuse to pay unless you receive satisfactory documentation; and if you don't, if the parent believes you should pay, the parent can sue you for the money, since a parent or legal guardian is liable for injuries caused by his/her child. If the other parent does this and can prove in court (e.g. in small claims court) that your child caused the injury either intentionally or negligently (unreasonably carelessly) and the cost of the medical care, then can recover the money from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.