What to do if my son’s father is claiming that he pays child support as part of his bankruptcy expenses, even though he has not paid in over a year?

Is this legal?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

For your son's biological father to place on his bankruptcy schedules alleged child support expenses that he claims he makes but in reality such is not true, he is engaging upon a fraud upon the court which is illegal. It is up to you to decide if you want to do the right thing or not by advising the court of the fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.