If my son and I where involved in an accident and he was taken to the ER, what would be a good settlement offer to accept?

I was the Insured driver. My 20 year old son was passenger. We where hit by SUV. Our car rolled, air bags deployed. We where taken to ER by ambulance. My son’s examination and test results are all normal. My insurer opened a claim for my son’s pain and suffering, and now wants to give my son $1,000 and close claim. I don’t have a problem with closing his claim I never knew a claim was opened. Is $1,000 an acceptable amount?

Asked on September 30, 2015 under Personal Injury, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Does you son have any residual or continuing loss of function, impairment of life, or disability? Or even if not continuing, did he have significant pain, impairment, or disability, enough to really interfere with life, for at least, say three months or more? If the answer is to these questions is "yes," then $1,000 may be too low--very low, if he should be facing ongoing or permanent problems.
On the other hand, if the answer is no, then $1,000 is most likely fine, possibly even generous.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.