If my real estate broker “quit” and the contract runs for serveral more months, what is my recourse?

The contract appears to be the standard texas broker contract. They were paid a flat fee up front.

Asked on September 26, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the broker for breach of contract.  The reason the broker quit will determine whether or not the broker has a defense to enforcement of the contract.  For example, if he quit because of a serious illness or some other factor that made it impossible for the broker to perform his or her duties, the broker may have a defense to enforcement of the contract.  There are many other factors that can provide a defense to enforcement of the contract.  This is only one example.

If the broker does not have a valid defense to enforcement of the contract, and you prevail in a lawsuit for breach of contract,  your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover) could be the contract price unless some work had been done by the broker prior to quitting and the contract performance could be deemed divisible.  If some work had been done, then your damages would not be the full contract price, but would be a portion of the contract price for work that was not completed by the broker.  You will also need to mitigate (minimize) damages by attempting to find another broker to complete the work, who would charge a price comparable to what your original broker was charging. In the interest of mitigating damages,  you would not be able to select a very expensive broker as a replacement for your current broker or your damages will be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.