What to do about unpaid working time?

I am in independent contractor for a soccer company. We are required to show up and set up a field at 4:30 and finish between 7:00-7:15 for cleanup. We are only paid for 2 hours, 5-7. If we are required to show up at 4:30, shouldn’t we be paid that half hour before? Also, I received a check that bounced; it cleared then bounced. I did not have sufficient funds after paying a bill. I received a charge back fee

of $15 and an overdraft fee of $35. Is he required to cover the overdraft fee?

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First, it is very unlikely that you are truly an "independent contractor": your employer tells you where to go, when, and what to do. That means that whatever they want to call you, you are most likely effectively an employee. That in turn means you have to be paid for all hours worked--so in your case, from 4:30 to 7 or 7:15. If not paid for all hours, you could try filing a wage and hour complaint with your state department of labor and/or sue (such as in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se") for the money.
They would not be liable for your fees from the account being overdrawn. That is not their fault or under their control: rather, it is your responsibility to have some balance or reserve to cover unexpected situations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.