If my mother passed away without a Will and had stocks valued at $220, how can I get them?

I had POA.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A POA becomes not effective upon death.  I would suggest that you handle this matter yourself since it only involves $220 - which is likely more than a lawyer would charge.  You can either contact the transfer agent directly and ask for papers to change the title on the stock or liquidate, etc. or you can open a voluntary administration (cost is  $1.00) and submit the voluntary letters with a request in writing.  In any event, I would contact the transfer agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.