What to do if my mother’s landlord sent her a letter stating tht she owed additional money for water overage but the building doesn’tt have individual water meters?

Can he do this? Is she responsible for paying? It is a 4-unit apartment building.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your mother should immediately write the landlord in repsonse to the demand for additional water asking how the alleged "overage" is calculated between her and the other three (3) tenants asking for a specific breakdown with reference to the fact that the unit does not have individual water meters. Have her keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

What the landlord seems to be trying to do is improper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.