What to do about an unclaimed retirement account in a deceased’s name?

My mother is in a nursing home and my father passed away 5 years ago. All assets were put into my brother, sister and mine name as heirs, before my father died. This was done so that we wouldn’t loose everything to the nursing home and my mother wouldn’t loose her health benefits. Recently my brother was contacted about unclaimed property, a retirement account left in my mother’s name. It must have been overlooked by my father at the time before his death. My brother tried as executor of my dad’s estate to have the money put into the heirs names (again so that my mother didn’t loose benefits). They turned it over to the legal team. stating that we can’t contact them and they will send a letter to us. We haven’t heard anything in 8 weeks what should we do?

Asked on August 29, 2013 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You and your siblings need to consult with a Wills and trust attorney to assist you all in the endeavor to ascertain the true location of the unclaimed account written about and to process the claim. A competent attorney can be found for you on attorneypages.com in your locality.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.