If my mother is 84 and ill but her home is paid for, what is the best way to keep it out of probate?

The value of her home is around $150,000-$175,000.

Asked on March 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your mother can sign a quitclaim deed which releases her entire right, title, and interest in the property to you.  The quitclaim deed needs to be notarized.  You and your mother need to appear before the notary and sign the quitclaim deed.  After the quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary, it becomes effective when it is recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.