What is a co-signer’s liability for a defaulted lease?

My mother and I lived in an apartment together several years ago. She was the primary resident but because I was 18 years of age, the landlord required me to be on the lease. She stopped paying rent and we were eventually evicted. We were taken to court where she promised to pay the rent back at a certain rate per month. She once again faulted on her payments, and now I am being garnished for it, but my mother is not. Is there any way for my to challenge this garnishment? the amount they are garnishing leaves me with very little money each month, am I able to change the amount being garnished? And if I get a new job that pays more, will they still leave me with the same amount of money each month or is the garnishment set to a certain percentage?

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about, since you co-signed for the lease that your mother and you lived in where she was the responsible party for the rent's payment, since she defaulted on the agreement where there presuambly is a judgment against you and her, the landlord seemingly is entitled under the laws of all states in this country to levy upon your assets for money owed him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.