My mom is on disability low income and is close to paying off the 1st lean on her condo 2-3 years, do you think the company that currently holds a 2nd lien on her home may offer her a smaller payoff if we agree pay it off for her?

My mom filed for bankruptcy about 4 years ago and is on disability. Disability is her only source of income. She should be paying off the 1st lien on her condo within the next 2-3 years. Her home is worth about the same amount she purchased it for 13 years ago. She currently has a 43,000 equity on her home which we would like to help her pay off. Do you think the equity company may be willing to work out a smaller payoff/deal with us if we offer them a payoff?

Asked on May 24, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It's worth trying, but lenders don't really want you to pay off their loans early: when you do, they lose out on the interest they'd otherwise have been paid. Therefore, while you have the right to pay it early, there is not advantage to the lender if you do so, and so no reason to expect that they will agree to accept a lower payment in order to get it sooner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.