If my mom died without a Will, what happens if my siblings and I don’t agree about what to do with her house?

It’s me and my 2 brothers; 1 brother wants to sell the house. I have lived in the house for several years with my mother. The one brother stoled the deed from the house can he do anything with it? And how does it go to court so we file something?

Asked on March 19, 2015 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Mom died withut a Will that is known as dying "intestate" and the intestacy statute if Maryland will apply.  You and your siblings would inherit equally under the intestacy statute.  If one of you does not want to keep the house the others could bring an action for Partition, which asks the court to divide the asset equally.  Obviously a hosue can not be split three ways so the court generally orders the house sold and the proceeds are split.  If yo and your brother wish to keep the house maybe you can buy out your other brother?  And no, he can not transfer the house unless he has himself appointed as the administrator and does it behind your back.  It may be a good idea for one of you to askthe probate court to be appointed administrator to prevent anything underhanded from happeneing.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.