What happens when beneficiaries of a Trust want property distributed in different ways?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when beneficiaries of a Trust want property distributed in different ways?

In my mother’s Trust paperwork it states: distribute personal property in equal shares to the Trustor’s beneficiaries as they shall agree. My siblings do not want any personal items. They want the items to be sold and the money go into the trust. I would like to have some personal items that they don’t want. These items total about $500. Do I get the items but have to pay the trust $500?

Asked on March 18, 2015 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The Trustee is the fiduciary of the trust and a trustee can indeed disagree with disbursement and seek court help in resolving disputes.  It seems to me, though, that is you consent to some of the items being sold and those funds would be split evenly, you could try and negotiate to use the funds you would receive as a set off to those items you wish to have.  As long as they are not extremely undervalued, they can be reasonably valued amongst you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption