If my long time fiance passed away and I have medical power of attorney but not financial, what do I have to do in order to have power of attorney here in the US?

His sister lives in Europe. His death certificate is being sent to me and we need to get into his apartment and take care of his property ASAP (we did not live together but I have many things at his house).

Asked on August 13, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  A Power of Attorney loses its legality once the party for whom it is enacted dies.  What happens now is that some one must apply o be the Personal Representative of his estate and Petition the Court for Letters of Administration/ Letters Testamentary.  I think that you should speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.