If my landlord lost the rent check that I paid for my business, how much can I deduct for all the time, frustration and mileage that I incurred as a result?

The bank said to close my account since personal information (name, address, bank name, routing number, account number) might be compromised.

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You cannot deduct *anything* for your time or frustration--the law does not recognize those as costs or damages for which you can get compensation. (You can ask your landlord to give you a credit for them, but it would be voluntary on your part.) Legally, you *might* be able to get something for mileage incurred by his loss of the check, but it would basically be the cost of the gasoline you used--i.e. trivial--and if your landlord refused to allow it, you'd have to sue, which would not even remotely be worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.