If my husband was put on probation and his probation officer told him that he cannot have any contact with me whatsoever, can they do that?

Can she keep us apart?

Asked on November 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I can see that you are very upset and I can understand why.  But more facts are needed here as to why the PO said that.  What were the charges?  Did they involve a violent offense against you?  Is it because you yourself have a record?  The conditions of probation probation are generally set by the court after recommendations by the DA, the victim, etc., depending on the case.  But if it is a condition - or if you fit in to the category of some one he is not supposed to come in to contact with - then the PO can indeed enforce it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.