If my husband filed for divorce a couple months ago, can I get my husband to pay for the bills that I have now?

I have a few bills that I have gone into debt with since he filed.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband have filed for a marital dissolution, hopefully both of you have a family law attorney representing you concerning this proceeding.

If you have some bills that are in default, you can ask your spouse to pay for them and if he refuses, you can file a petition with the court seeking an order that the bills get paid and by whom. I also suggest that you contact your creditors about the situation and try and work out a monthly payment plan. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.