Can an employer refuse to pay past travel business expenses

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer refuse to pay past travel business expenses

Can my previous employer make me go back and
substantiate previous years expenses 2014-2017
that have been paid, before releasing my current
expense check. They fired me and have my
computer and all documentation for all previous
expenses going back to 2014. These were all
legitimate expenses.

Asked on November 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they legally may not do this: if they believe that you mistated or overreported expenses in the past, they have the option of suing you to recover money, but in the meantime, they must pay all current, properly documented, legitimate business expenses.
Unfortunately, there is no agency, etc. which will help you with this: if the won't pay you, your only option is to sue them for the money (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se"). If you can prove in court that you incurred these expenses in the course of business (i.e. not for personal travel or your personal benefit), you can get a court judgment requiring them to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption