If my husband and I are divorcing and he’s the petitioner so I’m the respondent, can I file all the paperwork or does he have to?

He is out of town for the next 3 months. He mailed me the divorce papers. The divorce is uncontested, no assets, no kids.

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean that all the paperwork is completed and signed by him and all that has to be done is physically filed?  Generally speaking the petitioner or the petitioner's representative (like a law office) will file the paperwork to being the divorce.  The respondent does not usually do that.  I can see how waiting is an issue but there are question I have here like was the mailing the papers service upon you?  Are you filing anything consenting to service?  Are you answering the petition or waiving the right to answer?  It may be best for him to hire someone to make sure that everything is properly done.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.