What to do if my house got flooded from a hurricane?

My homeowner insurance company denied the claim stating the flood was not caused by wind driving. I have no flood insurance. my street is not leveled outout, all the water from the street ended up in front of my house causing the house to flood. The county drainage is not doing anything to prevent future flooding..all my furnitures were destroy from water damage. Who is accountable for my house repair and my personal items? What should I do? PS the house is in a non-flood zone.

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Insurance Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would contact FEMA to see what low interest loan that you might be eligible for due to the water damage from the hurricane you suffered with respect to your property.

As to the insurance issue, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of insurance law to discuss the terms of your policy and whether or not your policy for your home which was in effect provides coverage for the damage that resulted or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.