How can I find a copy of a Will?

My grandmother passed away in a nursing home. My uncle (my father’s brother) is an accountant and put all of her money and assets in his name before placing her in the home. He said the nursing home would take everything if/when she passed. She was a wealthy woman at that time. It has been 1 year since she passed. No Will has been entered into probate (I checked). I know that my father and I were both in her Will. My father passed away about 4-5 years before my grandmother. Is anything I can do to get a copy of her Will or how I can find it?

Asked on September 23, 2014 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  Your Uncle made sure there were no assets to probate and so even finding the Will may not be the end result you are looking for.  It could be with the Executor or even the attorney that drafted the Will.  If it is no where to be found then she is considered to have died "intestate" and the intestacy statutes in your state will apply. I would speak with an attorney about all of this.  You have a much larger issue to deal with than finding the Will: your Uncle and the assets.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.