My friend wants to get out of her marriage, can she prevent her husband from taking the children from the home?

He has already removed the children once and she had to promise to stay with him in order for him to bring the kids back. She cannot begin to file for divorce until she makes him leave the home, but she won’t do this if she is going to lose the kids in the process.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Until there is a court order to the contrary, there is nothing legally preventing your friend's husband from taking the minor children from the home that she shares with her spouse.

Given the problems that your friend is facing coupled with what may be in the best interests of the children, your friend should consult with a family law attorney to see what is her best recourse concerning the situation that she is in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.