What can I do if my sister was named representative of my late father’s estate but she has not given me a copy of the Will and is not being completely honest?

My father past away 2 months ago.

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  She MUST serve you with a copy of the Will even if you were not named in it because you would inherit if there were no Will (an heir at law under intestacy).  You can demand that she file the Will for Probate.  If she has already filed and not served you hurry down to the court to get a copy.  It is a public file.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.