If my father recently passed interstate and I am his only child, do I need to go to probate just to have the bank note on the mortage changed?

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  No, you do not but you will need to go through probate to have the deed changed in to your name.  When you inherit a home through the probate process the banks are not permitted to call in the mortgage (generally the due on sale clause) and you can continue to pay the mortgage until it is paid off.  If you wish to refinance though you will have to be appointed as the Personal Representative, transfer the property and apply for a new mortgage.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.