If my mother died and only left something to 1 child out of 7, what rights do we have?

UPDATED: May 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother died and only left something to 1 child out of 7, what rights do we have?

Will says that we are established and can care for ourselves, well so can he.

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that a child has no automatic inheritance rights from a parent. In other words, a parent can disinherit their child, or as in your case, children. There are certain exceptions to this but none seem to apply here (the Will specifically mentions your mother's other children, she was in her right mind, there was no cohersion on the inheriting sibling's part, etc). Based on the limited facts presented your mother made the decision to not include her remaining 6 children in her Will. Consequently, you and your 5 siblings cannot inherit and share in your mother's estate and her bequest will stand.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption