What to do if my father died and now his spouse won’t relinquish his belongings or allow us access to her home were the items are stored?

My late father had a living Trust that stated that his 4 children were his sole beneficiaries and that his entire estate, along with all of his personal belongings, were to go to his children.

Asked on November 19, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  But here is the thing: you can not disinherit your spouse in California and she may be entitled to some of the assets that are listed in theTrust.  It really depends on the big picture.  But the place to start is to have the Trustee - who has fiduciary powers over the trust's assets - seek legal help in marshalling (gathering) the assets and making inquiry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.