How canI makemy excomply with a court order?

Asked on March 28, 2011 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The way to enforce a court order is generally by bringing a legal action--a lawsuit--to enforce it. If the order is for money, if you sue on the order and win, there are then mechanisms (e.g. wage garnishment) that could be employed to receive or recover the money. If the order was for a certain kind of behavior (transfering an asset to your name; complying with visitation or custody; etc.), the court can compel him to do it under threat of being found in contempt and facing jail time. (Note: if the ex is willing to go to jail for noncompliance, then there may be nothing you can do.) You should consult with a family law attorney, who can advise you as to the best way to bring an action to enforce the order and also actually bring on your behalf. If the order is not worth the cost of consulting with an attorney, it may not be worth the trouble of enforcing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.