CanI let my kid’s dad just come to my house to see thembut not take them with him?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI let my kid’s dad just come to my house to see thembut not take them with him?

My husband and I have been split up with for 3 years. He quit the job that he had for 10 years and he is in a massive amount of debt. He is doing things out of character and I’m worried that if he takes my kids he won’t bring them back or maybe do something. We are not legally separated.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay so now is the time for you to go and do things legally.  He has the same rights to the children as you do and with out a formal order of custody he can indeed take them and have them live with him.  So if you believe that he has become unstable and that the children may be in some kind of danger - for lack of a better word - then you need to act.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption