Can I still continue to work if my EAD expires in about 3 weeks but I filed for renewal last month and am on J2 status?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Immigration Law, Louisiana


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Lawfully, you cannot work once your EAD expires.  YOU will have a gap in employment authorization and it can come back to haunt you later.  The safest thing to do would be to go off payroll once the EAD expires and then go back on payroll once you get your new EAD.  The EAD takes about 60-90 days to get so you should have filed for the extension giving yourself at least this much time if you wanted not to have a gap in employment authorization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.