What should I do if my dentist is suing me for the amount unpaid by my insurer due to his incorrect filing with them?

My dentist is suing me for an amount I refused to pay due to his incorrect filing of the claim. The insurance company listed what was necessary to complete the claim, I wrote a separate letter with the same information to the dentist but not comply, and is now suing me for the procedure cost $840.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your dentist is suing you for the amount allegedly owed due to his or her incorrect claim submitted to your health insurance carrier, you need to immediately advise your carrier in writing of the situation and request that the dispute get resolved.

In the interim, be prepared to defend yourself at the upcoming trial (small claims) concerning the lawsuit filed by your dentist and consider looking for a new dentist to take care of you in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.