What do I do if my daughter was driving my car and slightly struck another car causing minimal damage?

There were scratches on the left rear side fender. The police came, asked the other driver if she or any of her children were hurt and/or needed medical care; she said no; no ticket was issued. She told the girl that since there was minimal damage to the car (she felt the scratches could be buffed out), that she would pay for the damage herself if she would get estimates. Her estimates were $1,400. Before my daughter could pay for it, she sent a claim to my insurer. My daughter is not covered on my insurance and they have refused to pay. Then 2 weeks later received letter from her attorney claiming bodily harm.

Asked on April 3, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sometimes with an accident, especially when someone is hit from behind, they feel OK initially, and then days later they develop symptoms, especially in the neck and back.  Let the personal injury attorney know that the insurance is refusing to pay and why.  If you have deep pockets (if you can afford to pay a $30,000 or more judgment), you had best hire an attorney of your own to defend you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.