If my 19year old daughter was given vodka at a frat party, got drunk and was accused of pulling a fire alarm, does the frat house have any responsibility?

They say they didn’t supply it the alcohol, just one of their members did. Does the boy in the Fraternity (who the fraternity made pay the fine since she was his guest), and who is suing us for the $1200 security and fire alarm fee have any responsibility for giving her the alcohol? The small claims court letter was addressed to us as her parents. Are we responsible? Basically, is she legally responsible for this bill the frat had to pay their security company. She wasn’t in the house when it went off and isn’t sure she did it.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your nineteen (19) year old daughter is an adult under the laws of all states in this country. She used poor judgment at this party by not only drinking alcohol illegally but by supposedly pulling the fire arm that presumably resulted in a response by the fire department. She alone is reponsible for any costs resulting from her conduct, not you if in fact she pulled the alarm.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.