What to do if my children have a testementary trust fund and I just found out that the trustee took all the money out and put it in her personal bank account?

She did this 3 years ago but I just found out. She is willing to give money back, however I was wondering if I can file criminal charges against her for doing this?

Asked on May 21, 2013 under Estate Planning, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can file criminal charges against the trustee for embezzlement.

You can also file a separate civil case (lawsuit) against the trustee for conversion.  Conversion is theft.  Your damages for conversion would be a forced sale (the amount that was taken by the trustee and the proceeds if those funds were used for example for purchases).

The trustee has committed a breach of trust.  Your damages should also include compensation for losses to the trust; for example, the trustee has a duty to invest and make the trust property productive.  When the funds were in the personal account of the trustee, the trust lost income because it lost investment opportunities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.