If my car was parked in the gated parking garage of my apartment complex and another car hit mine, does the apartment complex assume any liability?

Asked on October 13, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Although you should check with your landlord to determine if the apartment complex will accept liability, it is unlikely that the apartment complex will accept liability.
Your property damage claim cost of repairs to your vehicle should be filed with the at-fault driver's insurance carrier.  If the at-fault party does not have insurance or his/her identity is unknown, you can file your property damage claim with your auto insurance company if you have uninsured motorist coverage, and have your car repaired.
If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage and the at-fault party does not have insurance, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.  Depending on the amount of damage to your car, you might be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  After obtaining a judgment in Small Claims Court, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.  Your damages monetary compensation you are seeking to recover in Small Claims Court should include your property damage cost of repairs to your vehicle and court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.