If my boyfriend has a “failure to appear” warrant for a traffic violation but will not be able to appear in person at any time in the near future, what can be done?

Can payment for the original violation be sent? He was summoned, and did not want to contest the ticket, which was for driving with a suspended license (unbeknownst to him) which has since been rectified.

Asked on February 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If a warrant has been issued then your boyfriend will need to appear personally in court to clear all of this up. Right now, he should consult with an attorney in the locality in which the warrant was issued. They can best advise him as to how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.