If my boyfriend and I got into an argument and a neighbor called the police, how do I drop the charges?

He was arrested for domestic violence and sent to jail. I want to drop the charges against him and also get the no contact order dropped, as he was due to move in with me in two weeks. How do I go about this? I’ve tried contacting the State Attorney but have not heard back from them at all.

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can not personally "drop the charges," as the charges were not brought by you, they were brought by the state.  However, without you as a witness against your boyfriend, they probably do not have much of a case.  If you can not reach the state attorney handling the prosecution, you might contract the arresting officer and telling him you do not wish to testify against your boyfriend.  He should notify the prosecutor who will likely dismiss the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.