What can I do if my boss said in writing that I would receive a bonus for all my hard work over the summer but I’m still waiting for it?

Asked on September 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can legally not give it to you unless 1 you had a written agreement BEFORE you did the "hard work" which stated that if you did certain things or hit certain targets, you would receive a bonus and 2 you did those things or hit those targets. In that case, it would have been a contract and, since you would have honored your obligations, the employer would have to honor hers. However, if after the fact--after you had already done the work--your boss said you would get a bonus, that is not a contract for it to be a contract, there must still be something for you to do contracts must be about contemporaneous or future performance if the only performance has aready been done or is in the past, it is not the "consideration" for a contract. Rather, if you had already done the work, then your boss's writing was a just a "gratuitous," or free, promise, and the law does not enforce gratuitous promises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.