If my boss owes me money can I sue him?

I work at burger king and was promised $8.00 an hour and only received $7.50 an hour, it took him over a month to finally get my pay up to $8.00 and he still owes me money for 3 previous checks it’s been over 4 months and I still don’t have my money, Iv’e reminded him about it several times but he keeps making excuses and acts like it’s my fault, can I sue him? Should I hire an attorney?

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for you.  Yes, you can sue for back wages in small claims court and you do not need ana ttorney to do so.  Do you have any proof of the promised wage from the beginning or is it your word against his?  Proving it will be your challenge. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.