My boss asked me to forge President’s signature…

My boss asked me to forge the signature of the president of our company onto a credit card authorization form. Typically we use a signature stamp which is held in the Admin office, and only they are to authorize the signature. One day admin was not in the office and a signature stamp was needed, so my boss told me to cut his signature out of an old authorization form and paste it to the new one. Of course, i did not do this, but I feel this was very illegal. Looking for adivce and to see if I can take legal action regarding this?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal to forge someone else's signature, so you're right to have not done it, and you should continue to refuse to it in the future.

However, what legal action are you thinking of? If you were retailed against for not following an illegal order--i.e. if you've been fired, demoted, harassed, had pay or benefits cut, etc.--then you can file a claim (you want to get an employment attorney to represent you.) But if nothing has happened to you, then you haven't been damaged. If you haven't been damaged, there's nothing to claim for.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.