Can a police officer legally go to your job and report a charge to an employer?

My boyfriend got pulled over and charged with posession of 20 grams of marijuana. The police officer said he had to report this to his current employer but that he wouldn’t require him to do so as to give him a break. Is this actually required? That was yesterday, today in the afternoon my boyfriend saw a cop come into his office (which is not a common thing at all in his office) and of course got worried.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

For a police officer after the arrest to go to an employee's place of employment after the arrest solely to report the charge to the employer would not be within acceptable police conduct.

However, if the police officer went to the employer as part of the investigation to acquire further information as to the employee, that would be acceptable.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.