What can I do if my attorney retired while I have a QDRO pending and I keep calling but get no answer?

I leave messages and don’t get called back. We sent the forms in 9 months ago and no answers, plus the lawyer owes me $750.

Asked on September 18, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact the Texas State Bar and file a complaint against the attorney for client abandonment and not refunding your $750.
The attorney should not have taken your case if he/she had planned on retiring prior to completion of your case.  The attorney should have referred you to another attorney or made arrangements for another attorney to complete the work on your case instead of abandoning a client by retiring and not responding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.